Title: Associate Director/Director, R&D Project Manager
Location: Waltham, MA
This position is accountable for managing R&D projects through the implementation process to final delivery for projects/products, including assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts and providing input into strategic plans. You will work closely with Project Leaders, Project Teams and Management to convert strategic objectives into operational project plans and then meet the goals/timelines for those projects. This position is responsible for communicating program/project status and proactively identifies, resolves and escalate risks and/or issues with senior management. Effective coordination of numerous disciplines is required for successful execution. This position sets agenda, chairs recurring project team meetings, and ensures effective cross functional communications are achieved with all team members. Previous drug discovery and project team experience is required. The preferred candidate will have experience in the anti-infective field.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Coordinates the design and execution of cross-functional project plans for late stage drug discovery, and early clinical development of small molecule therapeutics. This includes mapping of preclinical, early development and all other relevant team information, with a variety of project management tools.
- Schedule and manage project and external alliance meetings including agendas, minutes, and action items.
- In partnership with key stakeholders, forecasts, reports, and manage project costs (budget).
- Maintains frequent communication and builds strong working relationships with the cross-functional project team members and key internal and external stakeholders so that all parties are aware of current project status, issues, contingencies, cross-discipline dependencies and milestones.
- Prepares summary information on program progress, timeline updates and risk assessment for periodic presentations to Senior Leadership.
- With team members, in accordance with corporate objectives, facilitates the setting of program strategy, objectives, timelines, program budgets and key milestones and scope.
- Leads team meetings and ensures that clear actions and decisions are documented, communicated and committed to, enabling timeline and budget achievement.
- Accurately forecast, report and manage project costs (budget).
- Oversee US Government and external alliance contract performance and document monitoring. Work closely with alliance partners and US Government on project planning, setting timelines for meeting program objectives while maintaining communication with timely and accurate information on project changes as it relates to staffing, systems and/or budgets.
- Prepare reports and deliverables associated with US Government contracts, coordinating with Project Teams and Finance
- PMP certification desirable
- Must be an innovative, driven, highly organized self-starter with the ability to handle multiple activities and comfortable interacting with all levels of management within the company.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including people management, time management, organizational, prioritization skills and capable of working with funding and research partners in technical areas s/he does not consider to be his/her primary area of expertise.
- Demonstrated in depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and the drug development and approval process required.
- Extensive computer skills (Power Point, Excel, Word, MS Project, SharePoint).
- Proven ability to develop detailed integrated program plans and coordinate activities among multi-disciplinary teams comprised of internal and external parties.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven ability in negotiating/influencing and collaboration skills.
- Experience managing outsourced deliverables in accordance with GLP guidelines
- Ability to develop, execute and manage contracts with vendors
- Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or other related scientific area
- PhD degree in Biology, Chemistry or other related scientific area
- At least 5 years’ post graduate experience in the Pharma/Biotechnology industry with at least 4 years of formal Pharmaceutical/Drug Discovery project management experience
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society