Title: Associate General Counsel
Location: Waltham, MA
The Associate General Counsel will provide high-level legal advice to the Entasis leadership team on a variety of legal matters and manage drug-related federal and state compliance matters. This position will report directly to the CEO.
The Associate General Counsel will support the company’s compliance with applicable laws, regulations, best practices, company policies, and high ethical standards with particular focus on R&D, Clinical, Regulatory, Manufacturing, Medical Affairs, Commercial Operations, Facilities/Finance and Alliance functions. You will interact with groups throughout the company and will be responsible for overseeing legal input on business, regulatory, compliance and SEC matters within a fast-paced, energetic team environment for all of Entasis’ existing and new compounds.
The individual is expected to exhibit leadership and independent judgment and partners with company leadership to implement and maintain a legal program that prevents and/or detects violations of laws, regulations, and company policies. This talented senior attorney will be adept at providing timely and effective legal support as needed while minimizing potential legal exposure and risk.
- Represent the Entasis Corporate Legal function in departmental, cross-functional and company-wide initiatives.
- Serve as Corporate Secretary ensuring appropriate Board minutes, resolutions and related compliance activites are undertaken.
- Responsible for all necessary SEC filings as required by a public emerging growth company (EGC).
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts typical for the life sciences industry, including collaboration agreements, funded research agreements, license agreements, development and supply agreements and various vendor services agreements.
- Participate in the negotiation of licensing and partnering agreements, in collaboration with outside counsel.
- Provide legal advice and support for existing complex alliances and partnerships.
- Advise internal client groups and senior management on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, IP ownership, product registration, legal issues related to the development, marketing and distribution of pharmaceutical products, and other legal risks.
- Oversee corporate governance activities.
- Work with Business Development, to conduct and coordinate due diligence efforts in licensing and M&A transactions, and provide legal support for those transactions as needed.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts.
- Provide litigation support as needed, including the drafting and negotiation of settlement agreements.
- J.D. with a minimum of (4) years relevant industry, government, SEC and/or law firm experience. Additional years of legal experience are welcome.
- Graduation from an accredited law school. Admission to at least one US state bar and active license to practice law required.
- Experience advising life sciences companies on business, regulatory, compliance and associated matters. A combination of experience working in the government and private practice is ideal. Candidates who are doing similar work in an in-house environment will also be considered.
- Strong understanding of the US regulatory process and procedures. Working knowledge of ex-US environment that affects decision making in the US and global business would also be helpful, though not strictly required.
- Dedication to quality and the highest professional standards.
- Must be a self-starter and quick learner and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and passion for life sciences.
- Ability to think critically and make clear, practical and well-reasoned decisions.
- Outstanding service mentality (proactive, immediately responsive, interpersonal skills).
- Willingness and ability to work with cross functionally.
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities and delivering results efficiently.
- Ability to think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure.
- Ability to exercise mature and reliable judgment.
- Effectively collaborate with and manage outside counsel in a cost-efficient manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.